Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Interview with technology teacher

I interviewed the technology teacher at St. Mary's school. I asked her the following questions:
1. Why do you think it is important for elementary school children to learn about technology?
Answer: I believe it is important for students to be able to type on a computer and put projects together. I think that they will be better off later on in school and life.
2. What do you think is the most important thing about technology in schools?
Answer: As I said before, the students are getting ahead with their knowledge of technology. The world is evolving into a technologically dependent world and these children are our future.
3. If there were one thing that you could leave out of the technology curriculum what would it be?
Answer: Nothing. I think that everything to do with technology is important. There are aspects of every part of it that are very important for us to learn.
4. What do you typically teach elementary school children?
Answer: I try and start out with typing. We use different games to teach proper ways to place your hands on the keyboards and it gives your wpm. In the middle grades such as 3rd, 4th, and 5th, I start introducing PowerPoint and other programs. I work with the classroom teachers to intergrate classroom lessons. The 4th grade actually entered the Technology Fair at Faulkner State University this past month and some of them actually placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in their divisions.
5. Do you have any technology groups for elementary school children?
Answer: Yes, we have a computer club offered to all students from 3rd grade up. These students test programs for me to see what will work best for their age groups. I let them be the "test group" and their opinions are what help me pick what to teach. I get a better idea of what is preferred for each grade level.

I also interviewed some children at the school to see how they viewed technology in their curriculum. Their responses were:
"I love learning how to use the computer and different things on it."
"That is my favorite class!"
"I wish we had more computer and more times a week!"
"I am in the computer club and I like helping figure out what programs are better."
"I like making projects on the computer. It takes me a really long time to type though."

After interviewing the technology teacher and several random students I have come to realize that not only is it important to include technology into school curriculum, but the children also love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment