Monday, March 22, 2010

Blog Assignment #10, March 28, 2010

I commented: Hi! I am a student of Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your post. You made some great points about pointless time in class and the way class should be. There are so many things I have learned with hands on experience in my computer class that if I had simply been told how to do it, I KNOW I would not remember a thing. I have had several classes that I thought "What am I going to take from this class? or Do I really need this class?" Dan Brown hit it right on the head: Education these days has lost its value. I have a degree in Marketing already and for the past 6 years I have tried to get a job....to no avail. I was told I "didn't have the experience needed!" This was for a starting position. What experience would I have for a starting position? This point alone shows that society no longer cares what "credentials" you have, but what you know from the working world. Sure, it helps to have a degree, but without the experience you have nothing. I am continuing my "education" to attain a degree in Education so that I can give my students not only those credentials, but also the experience they need to make a difference in the world. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. It really made me think about my own personal situation and how things should be.

2 comments:

  1. Leigh,

    I too found Morgan's post to be enjoyable. I felt that many students could relate to the post especially me. I also agree that credentials don't mean anything anymore. Companies are looking for applicants who are experienced to do the job. I don't think that is right and it sucks that it's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If credentials don't count anymore there are several questions that arise:
    1. Why don't credentials mean anything anymore?
    2. Can schools/universities change what they are doing to make the credentials meaningful and useful?
    3. Or do credentials mean something and employers don't recognize that?
    4. In 1972 I suggested in a speech that I made that colleges and universities be banned from granting degrees in order to force attention to learning. My speech was not well received. What do you think about that idea?
    5. Are we trying to educate students who can't do (or do not want to do) college level work?
    6. Are students "too busy" to learn?
    7. Is the current millennial generation "spoiled and lazy" as many have suggested?
    8. Does the millennial generation not have a good work ethic as recent surveys (including mine) suggest?

    ReplyDelete