Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blog Assignment #4, February 7, 2010

http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_jpsrolls/PodcastCollection
by Judy Scharf

This article was very interesting to me. I never realized that the term podcast came from "broadcast" and "iPod." Podcasts in the classroom can be very useful. The article states that using podcasts can give students a chance to share what they have learned with others. Students will be more interested in what they have learned if they have the chance to use technology to "show it off!"

The tips to succeed section will be very helpful for teachers in the classroom. They listed the following:
  1. Make sure you spend enough time learning Audacity (or the software you use) to feel comfortable with it.
  2. Give students a choice of topics
  3. Let students pick the people they want to work with
  4. Have some exemplary podcasts for them to listen to
  5. Include a list of criteria for research
  6. Allow plenty of time to complete the project. Everything takes longer than you think it will!
  7. Invite the principal, department chairperson, or some other person to come in and see the presentations. Students will be very proud of their work.
This site as a whole would be a great tool to use when creating classroom podcasts. There are several links to use such as a Podcast Rubric for grading. I have bookmarked this site to use in the future.

Eagle's Nest Radio Episode #3: Roamin' with the Ancient Romans

The 3rd grade class podcast on Ancient Rome gave me a lot of ideas for my own podcast. I like the intro with the music and the fact that the music continued throughout them talking. The music faded out just enough to hear the children's voices but you could still hear the music. I have several ideas now that could help me when creating my own podcast. :)



4 comments:

  1. I never know where the team podcast came from either. I think that it's very cool. I also love the idea of having the music in the background but still being able to hear the kids talk. That's a great idea and it makes the podcast more creative. Those are some great tips to succeed in the classroom, and I will be able to use them in my classroom to help my students. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog to very interesting! I believe i need to educate myself more on podcasts so your post was helpful! I am going to go to that site because it sounds like the best one to educate myself more on podcasts, and i am interested in seeing how the Podcast Rubric for grading works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and the author that podcasts can be very helpful in the classroom. Giving the students choices are always good ways to get them involved. Your blog is very interesting to read and I have read some of your other posts previously. It may have been because you are the first listed but now it's because I find what you write as thoughtful and insightful. I missed the part about the podcast rubic but plan on reading more on that area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about the podcast. I think that podcast are important and that not a lot of people really know much about them. . I also believe that podcast can be positive to use for the students out of class that day and they will be able to still get the assignments and lessons from that day.

    ReplyDelete