Sunday, January 31, 2010

Blog Assignment #3 January 31, 2010

Podcasts

In listening to the pod casts I learned what you definitely should not do, such as record your podcast going through the drive-thru at a coffee shop. The podcast on Smart board lessons was interesting and very informative, but the drive-thru orders were a bit distracting. When I heard him ordering his coffee and pasta I could not concentrate on anything else after that. All I could think was I know he is not ordering food while doing an informative podcast. I did learn before that some interesting facts about DimDim.com. I have never heard of a meeting website where you can hold conferences with other classes. Also, the website offers a call-in phone number if you do not have access to a computer. The podcast overall was not as effective as it could have been if he were in a quite place that did not have any interference.

The other pod casts such as David Warlick's Episode 90 and Kidcast 62-some thoughts on video pod casting were a little more effective. They were held in quite atmospheres with no interferences. This was easier to concentrate on because I did not have anything else taking my attention away from the podcast. In my podcast I will make sure that I have no noise in the background and nothing that can take away from what I am trying to get across to my audience.

There is one point made in the podcast, Kidcast 62-Some thoughts on video pod casting, and that was that value added is important. "Technology such as pod casts and video pod casts are no different than doing a worksheet, it just involves video and audio technology." This is very true because these days children are more apt to want to learn if it is "hands on" and involves learning or doing something new. In the meantime the students are learning the same thing they would have (or more) before with no technology. Teachers have to be innovative and willing to change in order to keep up with their students and maintain their attention!

The pod casts EdTech Talk, This week in Photography, and MacBreak Weekly were the most effective. They had several people discussing pod casts and video casts. This not only gave one person's point of view, but several others at the same time. I believe that this technique is effective because it gives your audience several points to ponder and maybe some different strategies. A well rounded informative podcast will benefit your audience better.

After listening to the pod casts I believe that if possible, I will have more than one person delivering the information. This will give my point of view and offer rebuttals and/or more information from someone else's view. I am still thinking of ways to make sure that my podcast is not only informative but beneficial to my audience.

Media Literacy

Media literacy is evaluating, navigating, creating, responding. These words put everything into perspective. Evaluation is always important. In order to show that you truly understand something and can perform a certain task. In this video I was truly amazed that first graders could blog so effectively!

The first graders could navigate around the programs on the computer better than some adults. They knew exactly where to go to find things and what was supposed to be done to blog. They "created" their own blogs which again was very impressive. I am 30 years old and have just recently started blogging. It is wonderful that children are starting at such a young age and are very good at it too!

Responding is important too. As the little boy said, you never put anything mean on a response. Responding is solely for feedback. You can put what you thought of a blog, but try to keep your comments positive. I responded to Mrs. Cassidy's class blog and I thought is was magnificent that her class is so savvy with technology!

Little Kids: Big Possibilities

These children are blogging at such a young age. They are blogging instead of writing in their books. The students on the video said, "I like writing on my blog because other people can see it. My writing gets better every time I write on my blog." This statement sums up the whole idea of using technology in education. Students are going to try harder if they know that the world can see it, not just the teacher.

Technology is becoming a necessity in daily living. Teaching children at such a young age how to interact with the world using technology is only helping them prepare for what comes in their futures. I am still amazed that young children are using technology just as good, if not better than me.

The class not only blogs but has a wiki site too. They are using the wiki with videos to enhance lessons and make it easier for them to learn their ABC's. Years ago this would be unheard of and only a dream. I believe that technology is a true blessing and should be used in EVERY classroom!

iPhone used by 1 year old baby

This video really shocked me. I have a 10 month old little boy and i can not imagine watching him navigate through my iPhone. It amazes me that my 3 year old daughter can work a cell phone or a camera, but a one year old working an iPhone is absolutely amazing!!! Children are getting younger and younger working with technology. They are very interested in learning how things work and what they are all about. If more teachers would take the time to incorporate technology into lesson plans then I believe that children will be more willing to participate.

I feel as if I keep repeating myself....technology is important because that is what children/ students are interested in. If teachers target instruction around what their students are interested in there will be higher attention spans and willingness to learn. You have to engage your students in more ways than just the traditional worksheet or textbook activities. USE WHAT IS AVAILABLE TO YOUR ADVANTAGE! DON'T BE AFRAID OF CHANGE!!!

3 comments:

  1. Leigh,

    You made a great point about replacing worksheets with more interactive materials that allow students to not only work hands-on but to help stimulate their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leigh, I'm in class F. You made lots of great points about podcast. Quite setting is key, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I'm recording in class tonight. Oh, I'm nervous, I've always thought my recorded voice sounds funny! I like that you said, your podcast needs to be informative and beneficial to your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, spelled Quiet wrong! My brain is faster than my fingers. Ha!

    ReplyDelete